Follow us on Facebook
The 2019 Annual Show will be held at Wilstead Village Hall on Saturday 23rd March. This year our professional nursery will be Monksilver Nursery from Cottenham, nr Cambridge. http://www.monksilvernursery.co.uk
Download 2019 Show Schedule:
This version can be printed double sided as a booklet
This version is best for reading on screen
The highlight of our calendar is the Annual Show, which takes place during the spring. As you can see from the photos below, the benches are always full and every year there is a constant battle to fit everything in! Nevertheless, we always encourage our members to bring along their exhibits and the Show goes from strength to strength every year.
It is not just plants on display; many of our members are keen artists and photographers and as well as enter their work in the Show, they also delight us with their non-competitive displays of art, photos and needlework. Often these displays are awarded well deserved Certificates of Merit by our judges.
The Show is open to the public from 11.30, after all of the exhibits have been judged. A raffle and refreshments, both sweet and savoury, are on offer throughout the day and we have a members' plants stall as well as a professional nurseryman. Presentations are given at 14:30 and the Show closes at 15:00.
A huge amount of work is involved in running the Show and we couldn't do it without the help of a few dedicated volunteers. Without their help, we would the Show would simply be an impossibility.
The show schedule is sent out with the February newsletter. Entries can be made via post, phone or email and must be in by the Wednesday before the Show.
Please Note: For 2015 there has been a change to the maximum points which can be gained before moving to a higher Section. Additionally only first prizes gained in contested classes will count towards these maximums, although all points will count towards the aggregate trophies.
Non-Competitive Section :
The 'Public's Choice Award' will be awarded to the plant that receives most votes from the public. This can come from any competitive plant section.
The 'Bedfordshire Group Plate' will be awarded to the best plant in the show.
Congratulations to the 2018 Winners
Annual Show Rules:
1. Exhibitors shall, as eligible, be allowed to enter a maximum of two entries in each class of all sections.
2. Entries to the Show Secretaries should be in no later than the Wednesday prior to the show. Entries can be made by telephone, post or email. Late entries will be accepted at the discretion of the Show Secretaries.
3. Points shall be awarded as follows:
4. For aggregate awards in the Open Section, Section B and Section C, the trophy will be awarded to the exhibitor with the most first prize points in each section. In the event of a tie, the winner with most second prize points will be awarded the trophy. The same applies for all artistic sections; Photographic, Art, Floral Art and Needlework.
5. All exhibits shall be staged between 8:30 and 10:30 a.m. on the day of the Show. At 10:30 all exhibitors, unless required for official duties, MUST leave the hall.
6. All plants exhibited must be the property of the exhibitor and on the day of the Show must have been in their possession for at least six months.
7. No exhibit may be removed until the Show has been declared closed, except by permission of the Show Secretaries
8. Bulbous plants shall include bulbs, corms, tubers and pseudo-bulbs.
9. Cushion plants shall be grown for natural effect or for perfection of form. The fact that they may be in flower is of secondary importance.
10. Photographs may be in colour or monochrome. They may show plants growing in pots, in the garden, or in the wild.
11. Paintings and drawings of alpines may be in any medium, unless of otherwise stated.
12. Any photograph, painting or drawing, which has previously won a prize, be it a 1st, 2nd or 3rd, at the AGS Bedfordshire Group Annual Show will not be acceptable in the competitive classes.
13. In Class 1, 'Three pans rock plants distinct', no more than one plant is to be bulbous.
14. Only species are elligible for the geographical classes.
15. Unless covered by the above, the rules contained in the current issue of the Alpine Garden Society Show Book shall apply.
Photos: Scenes from the 2008 Show, taken by Robert