Follow us on Facebook
2020 Show date: Saturday 28th March - Wilstead Village Hall, Cotton End Road, Wilstead, MK45 3BX
Open 11.00 - 15.00
Report† of 2019 Show
We had a very successful show on Saturday 23rd March, no doubt helped by the good weather this year, thank you very much to everyone who helped make it such a great event. The quality of exhibits was excellent in all sections and it was encouraging to see so many exhibits in the Intermediate and Novice Sections. Plant sales, both our members' stand and our visiting nursery (Monksilver from Cottenham, nr Cambridge. http://www.monksilvernursery.co.uk ) did a brisk trade. And business was so good in the kitchen that our stalwart helpers hardly had time to take their own sustenance.
Congratulations to the 2019 prize winners:
Best in Show and Best in Open: Peter and Rosina Abbiss, Trillium grandiflorum
Publicís Choice Award: Peter and Rosina Abbiss, Hepatica pubescens
Open Aggregate: Peter and Rosina Abbiss
Intermediate Aggregate: Steven Squires
Best in Intermediate: Steven Squires, Primula ĎBroadwell Milkmaidí
Novice Aggregate: Steven Squires
Best in Novice: Bruce Bennett, Draba longisiquila
Photographic Aggregate: Bruce Bennett
Art Aggregate: Elsie Willett
Floral Art Aggregate: Sandra Cove
Certificate of Merit: Peter and Rosina Abbiss, Hepatica pubescens
Certificate of Merit: Roger Cove, Paeonia cambessidesii
Certificate of Merit: David Livermore, Photographic display - Plants of the Drakensberg Mountains
Certificate of Merit: David and Liz Livermore, Ozothamnus selago
The 2020 show will be held on Saturday 28th March:
The schedule will be available from late January 2020 and will be included with the February newsletter sent out to members.
* Only first prizes gained in contested classes will count towards these maximums, although all points will count towards the aggregate trophies.
Non-Competitive Section :
The 'Public's Choice Award' will be awarded to the plant that receives most votes from the public. This can come from any competitive plant section.
The 'Bedfordshire Group Plate' will be awarded to the best plant in the show.
Annual Show Rules:
1. Exhibitors shall, as eligible, be allowed to enter a maximum of two entries in each class of all sections.
2. Entries to the Show Secretaries should be in no later than the Wednesday prior to the show. Entries can be made by telephone, post or email. Late entries will be accepted at the discretion of the Show Secretaries.
3. Points shall be awarded as follows:
4. For aggregate awards in the Open Section, Section B and Section C, the trophy will be awarded to the exhibitor with the most first prize points in each section. In the event of a tie, the winner with most second prize points will be awarded the trophy. The same applies for all artistic sections; Photographic, Art, Floral Art and Needlework.
5. All exhibits shall be staged between 8:00 and 10:00 a.m. on the day of the Show. At 10:00 all exhibitors, unless required for official duties, MUST leave the hall.
6. All plants exhibited must be the property of the exhibitor and on the day of the Show must have been in their possession for at least six months.
7. No exhibit may be removed until the Show has been declared closed, except by permission of the Show Secretaries
8. Bulbous plants shall include bulbs, corms, tubers and pseudo-bulbs.
9. Cushion plants shall be grown for natural effect or for perfection of form. The fact that they may be in flower is of secondary importance.
10. Photographs may be in colour or monochrome.
11. Paintings and drawings of alpines may be in any medium, unless of otherwise stated.
12. Any photograph, painting or drawing, which has previously won a prize, be it a 1st, 2nd or 3rd, at the AGS Bedfordshire Group Annual Show will not be acceptable in the competitive classes.
13. In Class 1, 'Three pans rock plants distinct', no more than one plant is to be bulbous.
14. Only species are eligible for the geographical classes.
15. Unless covered by the above, the rules contained in the current issue of the Alpine Garden Society Show Book shall apply.
Photos: Scenes from the 2008 Show, taken by Robert